Dealing with disputes internally is time consuming and, if not handled properly, costly. There is always the risk that they will damage your reputation and commercial affiliations. You should always seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible.
Our commercially astute dispute resolution team has a wealth of experience acting for a wide range of clients, acting as the first and last line of defence for their interests. Our skill is swiftly getting to the heart of the matter to pinpoint the critical issues so that we can achieve the best outcome as quickly and smoothly as possible.
There are always steps that you can take to avoid disputes arising or, if they do arise, put yourself in the most advantageous position. With experience across all kinds of disputes, we will be able to help you to resolve the disputes you face now and reduce the risk of similar disputes happening in the future.
What we do and where we specialise
We work with a broad mix of large commercial organisations, family businesses, owner-managed businesses, and government organisations. We have particular expertise in the following sectors; real estate investment and development; engineering; manufacturing; software and computer services; agriculture; and education.
With experience in a wide range of disputes, we are well known for our specialism in:
- Breaches of commercial contracts, particularly relating to the supply of materials, aggregates and manufactured goods, as well as the supply of services, software, and IT service agreements.
- Disputes involving shareholder claims and director duties, particularly over the sale and purchase of share agreements such as warranty claims and breach of restrictive covenants, as well as claims against directors for breaches of fiduciary duty and claims for misfeasance and civil fraud
- Procedural applications and appeals in the highest courts, regularly appearing in the High Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, where we have been involved in cases including the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority.
- Construction disputes, where tight deadlines, budgets, subcontractor schedules and contractual obligations converge and cause disagreements.
- Professional negligence disputes where businesses are accused of failing in their duty of care to a client or customer where we are working to protect the business and its reputation.
- Injunctions and emergency remedies, guiding clients through the process of making applications to court in response to another party’s behaviour or wrongdoing that threatens their interests.
How we work
We understand that litigation can be time consuming, costly and stressful. Our first priority is to protect our clients’ interests by resolving disputes swiftly and cost effectively, with a focus on commercial practicalities.
Working with us you will have access to a team of exceptionally skilled partners and lawyers, whose focus is on providing solutions that work in the real world as well as the legal world. That means understanding what really matters and what does not. Minimising disruption. Maintaining business relationships. Preventing problems occurring in the first place.
Relationships and projects will always be led by a partner, so you know you are getting the very best advice and have the right person on your side. They are supported by a team of other lawyers, meaning that we are able to handle the largest disputes while also managing costs.
Throughout any dispute or litigation, we will prioritise communication, so you always know what’s happening now and what will happen next.
We also recognise that litigation is not always the answer. We can work with you to find quick, cost effective solutions such as alternative dispute resolution, mediation and arbitration.
Our experience and credentials
Our recent experience includes:
- Defending an agricultural machinery seller against an aggressive claim of trademark infringement from a global machinery corporation, successfully negotiating a highly beneficial resolution.
- Advising an engineering company on a claim against a former director who fraudulently took money and assets from the company, funding his lifestyle through the company for many years and falsifying expenses claims.
- Advising a national waste and recycling services provider in a dispute with a national bookmaker, who breached a multi-million pound contract for collecting waste and recycling from thousands of their sites across the country.
- Acting in high Court proceedings on behalf of a partner who had been unlawfully expelled from a partnership, in circumstances where the remaining partners were seeking to withhold considerable monies and assets.
- Defending a building contractor against a claim brought by a sub-contractor and pursuing a counterclaim for defective works undertaken by the same sub-contractor.
Feedback from clients in Legal 500 describes our team as having “an understanding of the region and the law that is invaluable” and remarks that our “excellent knowledge allows for effective and efficient advice that consistently produces the best outcomes”.