Claire has more than twenty years’ experience as a Family Lawyer, with a strong reputation in the East Yorkshire area. Combining strength and compassion to resolve cases swiftly and amicably, she is known for being sensible and pragmatic with a robust approach to court proceedings if needed.
Committed to empowering her clients to make informed decisions is important to her. Claire has built up a network of professional trusted advisers over the years which means she is always able to put together the right team to achieve the best possible outcome.
Claire has particular expertise advising clients on the financial issues arising on relationship breakdown, including; financial settlements; maintenance; pre-acquired and post-separation assets; pre and post-nuptial agreements; cohabitation and separation agreements; and financial claims for children.
She regularly advises on complex and high value cases acting for business owners and senior professionals, as well as advising on settlements including farming assets, land, pensions, and business structures. She also has considerable experience advising clients in relation to property disputes and associated civil proceedings, and also acts on behalf of parents in private children disputes including relocation, international cases and allegations of abuse.
Groups and bodies Claire is a member of:
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (FCilex)
- Member of Resolution
- Treasurer for Hull and East Yorkshire Resolution (2011-2017)
- Member of Hull and East Yorkshire Resolution committee
- Member of Women in Business
Recent examples of Claire’s experience:
- Advising a wife who was pursuing a claim against a property portfolio and complex structure of business assets that were held in the husband’s sole name, including an application for a legal services order and complicated by issues relating to the husband’s capacity.
- Advising clients in relation to complex pre-nuptial agreements to protect their inherited wealth, pre-marital assets, and property portfolio.
- Advising a father opposing the mother’s application for leave to move their child to Singapore, involving High Court proceedings to determine the child’s habitual residence and liaising with the Passport, Home Office and cross-border authorities to obtain a Passport Order.
- Advising a mother in respect of Schedule 1 Agreement relating to financial provision for the parties’ children against father with substantial assets, and which included a non-disclosure agreement.
- Acting on behalf of Defendant whose former partner issued a claim for a beneficial interest in her property and café business. Successfully defended the claim which was dismissed following a trial in the Chancery Court and involved assets and witness evidence from the Ukraine.
Recent feedback from clients:
- "Claire Ward helped me every step of the way with excellent advice, support and efficiency during a very difficult time. Nothing was too much trouble. I can highly recommend Claire."
- “Claire took over a particularly sensitive claim and made a significant impact on the matter and things soon started to progress. Guiding us through some difficult negotiations I found her to be understanding, supportive and professional at all times explaining technicalities in a way that was easy to understand.”
- “I was recommended to Claire by a partner in a professional practice and she exceeded her recommendation. Claire always made me take a moment to consider my decisions to make sure I made the right choice that was best for me. It was like having someone holding your hand throughout a time when you need reassurance the most.”
- “I was incredibly happy and satisfied with the way my case was handled and would highly recommend Claire’s services. Without her my case would have no doubt been radically different and she helped me to secure a financial future for my family which otherwise would have been impossible.”
- “Claire came highly recommended and lived up to her reputation, providing me with the support and professionalism I needed during a very difficult period. I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone going through a divorce. Her calm, efficient approach was invaluable during a process where emotions can be overwhelming.”
- “Claire was recommended to me by my employer. There were complicated finances and she was empathetic yet also very efficient in communications and actions. Claire used the best people when needed from mediators, accountants and valuers. When the case went to Court I came away with a settlement I had not thought possible.”
- "I would also like to take this opportunity to say how much I have appreciated your assistance in being able to take this difficult issue forward. I have felt not only your expert advice but your support on an emotional level invaluable in helping me finally make the right decisions."
- I appointed Claire from the Beverley office. Our initial contact was very professional, efficient and the advice provided was excellent. I felt very comfortable discussing personal matters with the team and Clare Ward (partner) was excellent, her communication with the other party was assertive and very professional on every level. I would highly recommend Clare and her team, despite the challenges of the coronavirus their service and communication was faultless. Thank you for the hard work and dedication to fight my corner !!
Outside of work, Claire enjoys spending time with her family and, as a mum of three boys, usually spends her weekends on a football touchline. She also enjoys walking the dog, fitness and travelling.