Paul is a partner and joint Head of the Private Client team in our Lincoln office. Paul has a strong high net worth private client practice with clients based all over the UK and in particular the North West. Paul is a trustee for a number of high value private trusts and has experience advising clients on many types of wealth protection strategies including family investment companies.
He advises clients on estate planning issues, complex tax planning advice and the implementation of bespoke Wills, trusts and other structures, to ensure wealth is passed on appropriately according to a client's particular circumstances.
Groups and bodies Paul is a member of:
Paul is a full STEP member, and an experienced trustee for a number of private family trusts, where he manages different types of wealth from shares in the family company to large portfolios of investments.
He is also an experienced executor; a personal role that is often complex and requires not only legal expertise but also organisation, general life skills and the ability to help and manage families at what is a very difficult time.
Recent examples of Paul's experience:
- Converting an existing, long established trust to ensure the type of trust being used better supports the payment of school fees. This involved not only bespoke drafting skills but insight into the capital taxation implications of the conversion;
- Advising a family in respect of a valuable plot of land ripe for development. Setting up a partnership to secure capital gains tax benefits in the event of the sale of the land and executing declarations of trust to share beneficial ownership of the land amongst the family to maximise those capital gains tax benefits;
- Administering a valuable intestate estate with assets in both England & Wales and Northern Ireland. Securing the assets of the estate in both jurisdictions and liaising with multiple third parties to facilities the smooth administration of the estate;
- Advising the trustees of a family trust in bringing assets out to support the widow of a beneficiary of the trust. Structuring that transfer of wealth tax efficiently to maximise the amount of cash available for the widow and so securing her future which was of great relief to the whole family at a very difficult time;
- Advising on the setting up of a personal injury trust to accept an award of damages. Liaising with the litigation friend and initial trustee to ensure the right type of trust was established for the benefit of the minor beneficiary. Advising on tax and compliance issues.
- As a lifelong Liverpool fan, football is a keen interest particularly in the last few years. The occasional 5 and 7 aside game keeps the personal dream alive;
- I also like to cycle when possible and I am lucky enough to be able to cycle to work when the weather permits.
Specialising in estates and succession planning for 20 years has allowed Paul to develop a deep understanding of a range of solutions that can be implemented to ensure clients’ wishes are fulfilled and he has built a loyal client following.