Gaining Advantage Together

0330 0947777

In certain situations, it may be appropriate for someone to apply for a Special Guardianship Order in relation to a child.

This type of order is normally used where a family member such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle has children of the family placed in their care. This sometimes happens when social services are involved and they, or the Court, think that it would be safer for the child to live with someone other than their parents.

If a Special Guardianship Order is made it gives the person who has the benefit of the order Parental Responsibility for the child and allows them to have the final say on decisions like where they should go to school and what contact they should have with the parents.

It is most often used in families when Social Services or the Court want to ensure that the child has as stable an upbringing as possible and there are concerns that if the caregiver was on a level footing with the parents it would cause disagreement which would not be beneficial to the child.

Our expert Child Law team has a wealth of experience with Special Guardianship matters, representing children and family members to ensure the outcome is in the best interests of the child.

What our Child Law clients say

Thanks for your letter and apologies for not being in touch sooner. Everything is resolved and I really appreciate your advice and also the gesture of good will. Your candour and focus on ensuring I knew the likely outcome made a real difference to a very stressful situation.

Child Law accreditations

Members of the Child Law team are proud to hold the industry’s most valued memberships and accreditations, demonstrating our commitment to the highest standard of legal care.

  • Law Society Children Law Panel
  • Resolution

How can we help?

Wherever you are, whatever your requirements, we’re here to help. Please complete the enquiry form and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible.

Langleys will only use the information you provide to contact you in relation to your enquiry.