Expert advice from our divorce and separation lawyers in Beverley, Hull and East Yorkshire
A relationship breaking down and ending, whether through divorce or separation, can be one of life’s most traumatic experiences. but no matter how daunting and uncertain things may seem, our specialist family lawyers covering Beverley, Hull and the East Riding will support you throughout.
Our expert divorce lawyers are ranked in the top tier for family law matters in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
Our primary aim is to get you the right solution or settlement for your situation. We will advise you through all the stages of your divorce and can assure you that we have the expertise and experience to deliver the best outcome for you:
- Our first meeting is free, no matter how long it takes, to make sure we completely understand your circumstances and what you want to achieve.
- Everything we talk about throughout the time we spend working together will always be totally confidential.
- Our partners and lawyers have decades of experience, an excellent reputation and over the years have built up strong relationships with other lawyers, Judges and professional bodies.
Offering expert advice and guidance, we will recommend a path that helps you take control of the situation and leads to a resolution that works for the situation you find yourself in. Whatever your reason for coming to us, our first step is always to listen with patience so that we understand what has happened before and what you want to happen next.
Rest assured that there are very few stories that we haven’t heard before or challenges that we haven’t previously overcome. Using our knowledge and experience we guarantee that we will be able to give you a range of options, with a detailed overview of the likely process, outcomes, timescales and costs. The recommendations we make will always be specific to you, so whether you are dealing with issues of children, finances, property, or something else, our family team will help you come up with a plan that works.
The types of divorce and separation we can help you with
We are one of the few firms that has dedicated, specialist expertise advising people with more complicated and complex situations. As part of this we regularly advise a range of high net worth clients, including farmers and landowners, entrepreneurs and business owners, and armed forces personnel to protect their wealth during divorce and separation.
We have recently advised:
- A wife in a complicated farming divorce which included issues surrounding third party intervenors.
- A husband whose former wife was attempting to go back on theterms of a settlement.
- The owner of a family accountancy practice, successfully negotiating a financial settlement to protect various pre-marital and family assets.
Added to this, we have seen every kind of divorce and separation, including:
Breaking free from an abusive relationship can be incredibly difficult, especially if there are children involved. Injunction proceedings can be issued swiftly to provide you with the protection of the court, and we can introduce you to other local agencies who can provide you with support.
Interim maintenance payments
Interim maintenance is payable by one spouse to another whilst the divorce proceedings are ongoing, until a financial settlement can be reached or there has been a final order of the court. If interim maintenance cannot be agreed through negotiations, we will help you apply to court for a judge to make a decision on the level of maintenance.
Financial proceedings and the division of pensions
Our family lawyers are supported by colleagues from other teams who can provide complementary advice on wills, trusts, inheritance tax and property. You can rest assured that we will have your best interests at heart from start to finish, and work in a way that gives you comfort and control over the issues to be resolved.
Litigation is not always the answer. If you are feeling hesitant about the process, there are other effective, conflict-free routes that may work for you, such as mediation.
A voluntary and confidential process, mediation provides an open forum to discuss options face-to-face with the benefit of an impartial mediator, and without being legally bound to any statement, unless you choose otherwise. We have qualified mediators in our team who can give you the right support and guidance, as well ensuring complete control of the situation from start to finish.
Recent examples of our work in this area
Some of our notable cases recently are listed below:
- Advising a wife who was pursuing a claim against a property portfolio and complex structure of business assets that were held in the husband’s sole name, including an application for a legal services order and complicated by issues relating to the husband’s capacity.
- Advising clients in relation to complex pre-nuptial agreements to protect their inherited wealth, pre-marital assets, and property portfolio.
- Advising a father opposing the mother’s application for leave to move their child to Singapore, involving High Court proceedings to determine the child’s habitual residence and liaising with the Passport, Home Office and cross-border authorities to obtain a Passport Order.
- Advising a mother in respect of Schedule 1 Agreement relating to financial provision for the parties’ children against father with substantial assets, and which included a non-disclosure agreement.
- Acting on behalf of Defendant whose former partner issued a claim for a beneficial interest in her property and café business. Successfully defended the claim which was dismissed following a trial in the Chancery Court and involved assets and witness evidence from the Ukraine.
Working with you
Everything we talk about throughout the time we spend working together will always be totally confidential.
Offering expert advice and guidance, we will recommend a path that helps you take control of the situation and leads to a resolution that works for the situation you find yourself in.
Whatever your reason for coming to us, our first step is always to listen with patience so that we understand what has happened before and what you want to happen next. Rest assured that there are very few stories that we haven’t heard before or challenges that we haven’t previously overcome.
Using our knowledge and experience we guarantee that we will be able to give you a range of options, with a detailed overview of the likely process, outcomes, timescales and costs.
The recommendations we make will always be specific to you, so whether you are dealing with issues of children, finances, property, or something else, our family team will help you come up with a plan that works.
Our team covering Beverley, Hull and the East Riding is headed by partner Claire Ward. Claire has over 20 years' experience in divorce, separation, child disputes and family matters with a strong reputation in the East Yorkshire area. Claire is a Fellow of Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (FCILEx) and a Member of Resolution. She is backed by a team that specialise in divorce and separation issues, you can be assured that she has the resources available to help you resolve your issues.
Our family lawyers are also supported by colleagues from other teams can provide complementary advice on topics such as wills, trusts, inheritance tax and property. You can rest assured that we will have your best interests at heart, from start to finish, in a way that gives you comfort and control over every aspect of divorce and separation, as well as what comes after.
Our fees and costs
If you decide to appoint the family law team at Langleys in your divorce or separation, you will need to pay some money upfront, known as providing a 'payment on account'. This amount is typically £500, but could be more if you have an imminent Court hearing, or other substanial work that needs to be dealt with at the start of your case.
In addition to your legal fees, you may also have to pay some additional money to pay for barrister costs (if you use one) and Court fees. These are known as ‘disbursements’. Any disbursements that are incurred on your behalf by us must be paid in advance. We will let you know when a payment needs to be paid.
As far as your legal fees are concerned, we will typically raise an interim invoice every month so that you can keep up to date with your fees. The amount we bill depends on how much work we have done that month and therefore each month your bill will vary.
What do people say about working with us?
Some clients have written to us with feedback:
- "Claire took over a particularly sensitive claim and made a significant impact on the matter and things soon started to progress. Guiding us through some difficult negotiations, I found her to be understanding, supportive and professional at all times."
- "I was incredibly happy and satisfied with the way my case was handled and would highly recommend Claire's services. Without her, my case would have no doubt been radically different and she helped me to secure a financial future for my family which otherwise would have been impossible."
- "I needed some assistance due to an upcoming divorce and went for their free meeting. Other solicitors give 30 minutes or an hour, but this one gave about 2.5 hours (or whatever was needed to discuss the case)."
- "Claire Ward helped me every step of the way with excellent advice, support and efficiency during a very difficult time. Nothing was too much trouble. I can highly recommend Claire."
- “I was recommended to Claire by a partner in a professional practice and she exceeded her recommendation. Claire always made me take a moment to consider my decisions to make sure I made the right choice that was best for me. It was like having someone holding your hand throughout a time when you need reassurance the most.”
- “I was incredibly happy and satisfied with the way my case was handled and would highly recommend Claire’s services. Without her my case would have no doubt been radically different and she helped me to secure a financial future for my family which otherwise would have been impossible.”
- “Claire came highly recommended and lived up to her reputation, providing me with the support and professionalism I needed during a very difficult period. I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone going through a divorce. Her calm, efficient approach was invaluable during a process where emotions can be overwhelming.”
- “Claire was recommended to me by my employer. There were complicated finances and she was empathetic yet also very efficient in communications and actions. Claire used the best people when needed from mediators, accountants and valuers. When the case went to Court I came away with a settlement I had not thought possible.”
- "I would also like to take this opportunity to say how much I have appreciated your assistance in being able to take this difficult issue forward. I have felt not only your expert advice but your support on an emotional level invaluable in helping me finally make the right decisions."
- I appointed Claire from the Beverley office. Our initial contact was very professional, efficient and the advice provided was excellent. I felt very comfortable discussing personal matters with the team and Clare Ward (partner) was excellent, her communication with the other party was assertive and very professional on every level. I would highly recommend Clare and her team, despite the challenges of the coronavirus their service and communication was faultless. Thank you for the hard work and dedication to fight my corner !!