Pre & Post-Nuptial Agreements
Whilst no one wants to think about the end of their relationship, the reality is that sometimes marriages do break down, leaving both of you feeling unsure and uncertain of where you stand and your entitlements.
Although a court does not necessarily have to follow an agreement made before a marriage, it provides a useful starting point and, when drafted properly, should prevent a lot of uncertainty if the worst should happen.
Although not right for everyone, pre-nuptial agreements are worth considering for several reasons, for instance if you are getting married for the second time, or if one of you has an inheritance or business you wish to protect.
Whilst it’s romantic to think that you’ll never need to use such an agreement, the reality is that, if the relationship does come to an end, pre-nuptial agreements can prevent a great deal of stress, disagreement and financial vulnerability, and it’s worth finding out sooner rather than later if you may benefit from such an agreement.
If you are already married but are considering how best to protect assets that were perhaps acquired before the marriage or have been received from outside of the marriage it would be sensible to take advice on whether a post-nuptial agreement would be appropriate.
Working with us, you can have absolute confidence that you will have an expert team dedicated to achieving the very best outcome for you and your family:
- Our first meeting is free, no matter how long it takes, to make sure we completely understand your circumstances and what you want to achieve.
- Everything we talk about throughout the time we spend working together will always be totally confidential.
- Our teams are top ranked by the legal directories, so you can be sure that you are being guided by specialist experts in all areas of family law and pre- and post-nuptial agreement.
- Our partners and lawyers have decades of experience, an excellent reputation and over the years have built up strong relationships with other lawyers, Judges and professional bodies.
- We have lawyers teams in Beverley, Lincoln and York, and work with clients across East and North Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and the East Midlands.